5 Reasons Why You Should Read The Alchemist By Paulo Coelho (Bonus! Book Quotes)

Read the updated version of this post at:  5 Reasons to read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

why The alchemist is my favourite book
Quotes From My Favorite Book: The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho 

The Alchemist is my favorite book of all time. Whenever negative feelings capture my mind, I turn to this book. I remember falling in love with it the first time I read it. Since then I've read this book many times and each time I'm enlightened with a new positive thought. I admire the simplicity of Paulo Coelho's writing and the story of The Alchemist.

I don't want to give away the story because I want you to read it yourself and experience the whole story from your point of view. But just in case you are wondering, the story is about a young shepherd, who goes out exploring the world in search of treasure and finally finds out that the treasure was right at his door.

And isn't that relatable to your real-life?!

However, this book covers a lot more than just that.

Here are my top 5 reasons why you should give this book a try:


1. This Book Is Magical:

No, not just because the story is awesome and it makes you feel good. That is there, but it does contain some parts which can be considered magical.

Starting from when the main character meets a mysterious, magical king, to him having some realistic visions; this book does contain some magical elements. Just a little bit, but it is there. This book also touches the science of Alchemy.

Although now that I think of it, these parts could be the representation of the main character's intuition. You can take it either way.

Sometimes it feels better to just fantasize about a magical world that is different from the reality of our lives; to imagine yourself in a place where things are exciting, maybe not perfect, but just right enough to give you thrill!

I love when my imagination is at play when I read books like these.


2. You Can Do and Be Whatever the Heck You Want To:

This book reminds you that no matter who you are and where you come from, you can be whoever you want to be and can achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Our main character is a shepherd, who originally belonged to a farmer family and was supposed to be a farmer. But instead, he chose to be a shepherd, because he wanted to see the world. And that was just the beginning of his journey. His brain suggested him to do what seemed logical many times, but that one desire to see the world and following his heart changed his life.

The main character inspires us to follow our heart, and do what we want to do. No matter how out-of-tradition your desires are or how complex your wishes are, or how great the chances of failure are, you should always follow your heart and pursue your dreams.

One of my most favorite take-home messages from the book, I must say.


3. Gives You Hope:

Well, isn't that something we all should have?

Our shepherd boy decides to follow his heart, to pursue his dream. But the boy suffers from a lot of ups and downs. He was cheated, and he had to start his journey again from the bottom. It took longer for him to reach to where he wanted to reach, but he got what he wanted, against all the odds.

This book puts a light on the fact that hard times don't last forever. Hardship is never a waste of time; it's just a test from the universe to see your strength. You are not the unlucky one for being in a difficult place, but rather you are one step closer to your destiny.

The road always is tougher near success.

No matter how difficult the road gets or how low in life you get while pursuing your dreams, never stop working and moving forward towards your goal.

Always be hopeful; that you will reach there.


4. You Will Always Be Guided to Your Destiny:

This is the main idea that this book focuses deeply on.

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.

I love that saying, it's one of my favorite quotes from the book.

This book tells you that all you need to do is follow the signs or the omens that the universe presents to you. Those omens will guide you to your destination.

And how true that is!

When we dream of doing something and walk on a path we have never traveled on before, we don't know where the road will lead. But there is always something: an inner voice, intuition, gut feeling or just a feeling, that somehow tells you that you are going to be just fine. Or that you should get out of this situation fast.

The universe somehow keeps on pointing in the right direction.

Has it ever happened to you?

Well, I know how many times I have ignored my intuitions and later on regretted.


5. You Can Learn Something from Everything:

I just love how our main character studies the most common things around him and learns such complex things from them.

He learned from his sheep, the people around him, and even the desert! Things that normally anyone would not notice. But things that matter.

I just love how he never stops learning and inspires us to never stop as well.

Observe. Observe the simple things, and that will answer the most complex problems of your life.


Quotes from the book, The Alchemist:

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book. I hope they'll inspire you the same way they inspire me!

❍ "We know what we want to do, but are afraid of hurting those around us by abandoning everything to pursue our dream. We do not realize that love is just a further impetus, not something that will prevent us going forward and that those who genuinely wish us well want us to be happy and are prepared to accompany us on that journey."

❍ "Are defeats necessary? Well, necessary or not, they happen. When we first begin fighting for our dream, we have no experience and make many mistakes, The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times."

❍ "It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."

❍ "It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men can understand them."

❍"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own."

❍ "At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie."

❍ "Everything in life has its price."

❍ "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

❍ "There was nothing to hold him back but himself."

❍ "I'm like everyone else- I see the world in terms of what I would like to see happen, not what actually does."

❍"Every blessing ignored becomes a curse."

❍ "Never stop dreaming", the old king had said. "Follow the omens".

❍ "Making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision."

❍"I've learned things from the sheep, and I've learned things from crystal, he thought. I can learn something from the desert, too. It seems old and wise."

❍ "The body was beginning to understand that intuition is really a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life, where the histories of all people are connected, and we are able to know every thing because it's all written there."

❍ "People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want."

❍ "Because I don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present."

❍ "If I am really a part of your dream, you'll come back one day."

❍ "If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."

❍ "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."


Conclusion:

A book can have a different effect on different people. The same book can ignite different thoughts in two different people.
After reading this book I realized how ignorant I have been in my life.
  • This book inspired me to observe and learn.
  • It helped me realize how important it is to be patient because success and failure both could be right around the corner.
  • It assured me that you will get all the help you need in some or other way, and
  • Hard work always pays off.

So yeah, if you haven't read this book, then you definitely should! This book has a very positive essence, and that's why I recommend everyone to read this book.

Leave your thoughts down below. Have you read this book? Also, if you have a book recommendation for me, leave it in the comments section below, or write to me on the contact section on the right. Connect with me at twitter and facebook, tell me what's your favorite book.



why the alchemist is my favorite book


© Quirky Writes 2018
Updated: August 2019

10 comments

  1. Wow book sounds great! N i also follow this writer because he quotes very awesome quotes 👍👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this book! You've definitely convinced me to give it a go. It sounds so uplifting x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book ^^ I usually put it in the hands of kids at the library ^^ (im a librarian) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is one of the books that changed my life and I can relate. I understand what you mean. I had goosebumps and was teary eyed too. have you read The Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert? You'll love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, this book is very inspiring. Thanks for the book suggestion, no I have not read it. I'll try to look it up online. Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Really love these quotes and the whole vibe of this book! I’ve been delaying to read it for a while, but I think now I will. Thanks for inspiring me :)

    Nora | www.noradileo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing book! It's inspiring and insightful. Thanks for writing this review-- hope many more enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks chica paranormal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article about The Alchemist. I just wrote a chapterwise review and linked on my name. I hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, this book carries magical things which can change someone's life in a better way ✨

    ReplyDelete

Lacking Motivation? Check This Post Out!

5 Things I've Learned About Motivation

Explore More!